Monday, January 19, 2009

Sotto Voce

So lately I've had to think about something that hasn't gone through my mind in a long time.

Moving back to Mexico.

It's nothing serious right now, but it's to the point where my parents have seriously discussed a plan in case things go badly.

It kind of makes me nervous. I have no idea what I would do in Mexico. Seriously. It's just something that's so foreign to me now, I would definitely feel out of place.

I really don't get why I'm such a threat to so many people in this country. I pay taxes, I'm a college student, and I lead a life comparable to many Americans'. Why am I so different?

People talk about the Civil Rights era like it's something of the past, but I think it's still very much an issue. Now anti-immigrant people are using the economy issue to push for anti-immigration laws. And it's working too.

By now I have to worry about renewing (and paying for) my "license" every year (which I can't even use as a valid ID), finding a job where people won't screw me over for being an immigrant, not being eligible for any scholarships or financial aid, the possibility of having to pay out-of-state tuition, getting my degree done asap, and maybe even getting deported.

Just because I was born somewhere else (it doesn't matter that I've lived here almost 11 years now). Not because I don't pay taxes, not because I steal, not because I rape people, not because I'm in a gang, not because I killed someone (which is apparently what immigrants do). Nope. I have done nothing wrong and apparently I'm using all the things a "real" American could be using or doing.

I'm sorry, but if you lose your job to someone that can't even speak English, it's about you, not them.

That's also why I refuse to say the pledge (besides the fact that you're talking to a flag). I mean, land of the free? really?

Well enough of that. I think you get my point. If you think I deserve to be kicked out, that's alright, I still love you.

Love,
Berto

P.S. Tomorrow is the day for change. I hope for some positive change regarding this subject. Woo Obama!

6 comments:

Morgan said...

Of course I don't think you should be kicked out. That's scary. I don't know what I'd do if I were forced to move to a country that felt so foreign.

Neil said...

I'm just gonna go back to one of the xkcd's you posted
FUCK.
THAT.
SHIT.
end of story.
-neil

Erin Jo said...

I love you besto... and Idk what I would do if you had to move. :(

Nat said...

Berto.
Good for you for getting your feelings out there.
Also, I am proud of you for standing up for what you believe in, you are a wonderful person, sadly, the government doesn't get to see that side.
You have read my blog about the fire and water... this is a perfect time to think of that.
somehow, it will all work out.
i love you berto.
natomba.

Jeff Peteson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff Peteson said...

I know I'm gonna be the bad guy here. Now first off let me say that I don't want you to move either but I must pose this question to you.

If a building is on fire and you have a brother trapped inside and a friend whom you know but aren't that close to trapped inside and you only have time to get one out who do you save? The friend you like but barely know or your own blood?

Now let it be known that I do not want Roberto to go, he's a great guy and has a lot to offer us. I am merely representing the opposing viewpoint which I know all too well from my families past.